Saturday, February 21, 2009

Maybe I'm Just Not That Into Him!!!

OK, so I somewhat reluctantly went to see He's Just Not That Into You tonight with a friend and it was one of the worst expenditure of 2 hours I've made in a long time. Not only was I offended by the title/plot of this movie but there were some fashion/makeup/hair choices I also just could not abide.

Plot problems: SPOILER ALERT! Where are these women's backbones and self respect? WHERE? Not in this movie, that's for sure! Apparently the message of this movie is that guys can dish out whatever they want, treat women/girlfriends/wives however they want and get away with it if the either a) love you, or b) marry you (with a few exceptions). I was waiting for some of these women to just let these guys have it but it never happened. V. disappointing. I was looking for some sort of "we don't need men to be happy" message but that must have been in another theater...maybe in Medea Goes To Jail. I also take offense to the title/plot because it doesn't leave any room for "the guy is retarded" or "the guy is lazy" or "the guy isn't worth being in a relationship anyway!" I take the point, I guess, but this movie seems to be doing a lot of blaming and finger pointing towards women and letting the guys get away with behavior, if directed at me, would induce a serious beating on my part. Perhaps with a baseball bat, maybe a metal one in a few instances. I just wanted to puke when Ben Afleck who's been acting like a complete a-hole the entire movie asks Jennifer Anniston to marry him and she gushes and says "yes" and the entire audience, save me of course, either giggled or cheered. What?! He's getting away with everything because he said "will you marry me?" That's crap!

Now to my real issues with the movie. Gennifer Goodwin, whom I usually adore, was her adorable self, even if her role was v. pathetic, but she was wearing purple nail polish the entire movie. Purple nail polish! I thought I was hallucinating at first but unfortunately no, I was not mistaken that she combined black and navy blue in more than one outfit...not OK. No wonder she can't get a guy!

Jennifer Connolly's wardrobe consisted entirely of button-up shorts under sweaters, with one exception, again literally the entire movie. OK, I get the conservative serious persona but can't we change it up a little, it's repetitive and boring! Along the boring conservative lines was also a makeup problem. They went a little too far in making it look like she wasn't wearing makeup that I really don't think she had enough on and she just came off looking homely, it was kind of sad because it's hard to make Jennifer Connolly look homely, although easier now that she hasn't eaten anything in several years...the girl is SKINNY!

Jennifer Anniston has her long straight hair (as always) in this movie but it is weirdly pulled back to the side with bobby pins and cutsie little clips in very strange ways throughout the movie...just one side. Couldn't we cut some bangs or tuck behind our ear? Why didn't they just give her a big scrunchy to tie the whole thing up with? If we're going to be tacky, let's go all the way! Also, getting back to the plot, I wanted to puke again at the NUMEROUS jokes that were made at JenAn's expense because she wasn't married or in a relationship. Get a grip people, are we still living in an age where it's OK to make jokes at peoples expense because they aren't in a relationship? I am in one and I STILL find that offensive. Probably hit a little close to home for her anyway!

I just realized everyone in this movie is named Jennifer (or some derivative thereof)!

Drew Barrymore continued her hippy flower-child nonsense yet again here. Lots of ridiculous braids in the hair and flowy hippy shirts and every word out of her mouth was just general ridiculousness! She also had this weird misplaced gay posse around her that I consider offensive to both hippys and well as gays! Plus, on the big screen her age is really showing...her skin looked HORRIBLE! I really wanted to close my eyes at the close-ups.

So He's Just Not That Into You...maybe I'm Just Not That Into Him!!!!

No comments: