Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Katie Fforde Makes Me Happy


For those of you not familiar with fabulous author extraordinaire Katie Fforde, let me illuminate you. Fforde is the best-selling British novelist who is not as popular in the US as I think she should be (and if I say it, right...). If ever you need a guaranteed make you happy light read, pick any of the zillions of books she has written (literally approx. 14 novels, most of which I've devoured), plop down on the couch in comfy stretchy pants and a cup of coffee in hand, and GO! I promise you won't be able to stop!

Fforde writes with a common formula in her books, but it never disappoints. Here's the basic plot line...somewhere in the British countryside lives a woman who, for whatever mishaps of circumstance, finds herself in, well, not the best situation. Enter a man who on first glance seems a rogue but, come to find out, he's really the answer to her problems, of course. Hilarity ensues. Please don't be put off by the Cindarellaishness of this v. short explanation...Fforde's women are strong, sassy, and can take care of themselves...they just happen to let men take part as well. If her heroins lived in the U.S. they would definitely be Southerners...the heros too for that matter. In Fforde's rural English countryside, I have found kindred spirits in her heroins. Kindred with both myself and Scarlett O'hara...what better complement to Fforde's writing could there be?

Some of my favorites: Highland Fling, Wild Designs, Stately Pursuits, Second Thyme Around

No comments: